Welcome to Heartland ASHI
Register for this Month's Meeting
Event :: June Heartland Chapter Meeting
June Heartland Chapter Meeting
Contractor 101 – ADU Planning, Design and Construction – A How To Overview, Part 2
We will be having an online-only meeting via Zoom again this month.
Continuing Education Seminar – 2 evening seminar – 4hrs total
The seminar will discuss the planning, design, and construction process for an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU). Think mother-in-law apartment above a detached garage. We’ll discuss an actual project that was initially designed by an architectural firm and was redesigned by the builder to make it a buildable and more functional project. I’ll also talk about how to avoid the pitfalls the homeowner ran into.
The seminar will cover the basics of what’s required in all houses just on a much smaller scale that’s super easy to analyze and discuss. Some of the subtopics include:
- What’s the difference between an architect, engineer, and design/build firm?
- What does the conditional use permit and building permit process look like?
- Tree removal/replacement issues, erosion, and silt fence requirements.
- Is a full set of plans required?
- How to design, excavate and construct frost footings.
- Do I need a drain tile and Radon mitigation system?
- How to design and build a foundation wall – what are my options?
- What does the backfilling process look like?
- Will the garage floor drain?
- How to design a floor system with no interior supplemental support – what are my options?
- How to design and build walkout and house walls – is an energy efficient wall required?
- How to design and build a roof system.
- How to design the HVAC systems – what are my options?
- And more
The professional opinions expressed in this seminar are those of Fred Comb and are based on his knowledge and experience with construction issues and defects, 30 years of experience as a ASHI certified home inspector, 40 years of experience as a licensed building contractor, and his work performing forensic investigations of construction defects.
Questions and comments may be sent to Fred Comb, email@example.com, 612-840-0709
Start Date And Time
06/20/2022 06:30 pm
End Date And Time
06/20/2022 08:30 pm
ASHI Heartland is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: May Meeting
Time: June 20th, 2022 06:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 820 018 2486
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,8200182486# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,8200182486# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 820 018 2486
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kX4Euk54w